unsalted clarified butter
phyllo dough sheets
1 ½ kgs
1 ½ cups
1. Combine the cold water with the sugar in a medium-sized saucepan and boil it for five minutes, then lower the heat and let it simmer uncovered for about
20-30 minutes. The syrup is ready when it turns light yellow and becomes sticky. Stir in the lemon juice along with the syrup and let it cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Place the nuts and sugar in a food processor and process until it is medium to finely ground and then set it aside. Brush the inside of a 14x18x1 inch baking pan with a little bit of clarified butter. Place 10 sheets of phyllo dough in the pan and lightly brush each of them with clarified butter.
3. Spread the nuts over the dough and lightly sprinkle it with water. Layer the rest of the sheets of phyllo dough over the nuts, brushing each with clarified butter. Trim the edges to make it fit neatly within the baking pan and brush the top layer and edges with clarified butter.
4. Using a sharp knife dipped in hot water, cut through the dough halfway down the height of the pan to make 48 pieces. Bake the baklava in the centre of the oven for 30 minutes and then lower the heat to 325 F and bake for another 30 minutes, until the top is slightly golden. Remove it and set aside for 10 minutes.
5. Re-cut the pastries along the lines, all the way to the bottom of the baking pan, and pour cold syrup over the cut lines. Sprinkle the baklava with chopped walnuts or pistachios and let it cool completely. Serve it at room temperature.
Coffee Baked Cheese Cake
|unsalted butter (melted)
crushed chocolate cookies
pure cocoa powder
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C and grease the cake tin. Put the crushed chocolate cookies and melted butter in a bowl and mix it up. Tip into the tin and press down with the back of a spoon and leave it to set in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Put the cream cheese, mascarpone, golden caster sugar, cream, vanilla, and flour into a large bowl and beat together until it is smooth. Beat in the eggs and egg yolk and dissolve the instant coffee in 2 tsp of hot water. Beat the mixture along with this and the 2 tsp of coffee extract.
3. Spoon the mixture onto the chilled cookie base and bake for 90 minutes or until it sets, with a slight wobble in the centre. Cool it completely in the tin and leave it to set in the fridge for at least two hours.