With the festival of Easter just passing by, we tried to find some fun recipes you can try out for this year’s family gatherings. Filling and hearty, this savoury pie by Laura Vitale will have you going in for seconds. Serve it fresh!
Italian Savory Easter Pie (Torta Pasqualina)
For the crust:
All purpose flour 2-1/2 cups
Olive Oil 1/4 cup
Salt 1 tsp
Ice water 1/2 cups
For the filling :
Boxes of Spinach,
thawed and squeezed 20 oz
finely chopped ½
Olive Oil 2 tbsp
Whole Milk Ricotta 1 lb
Freshly grated parm ½ cup
Dried oregano one pinch
Salt and black pepper
1) Start by making the crust. Add the flour, salt and olive oil in the standing mixer and while pulsing, add the water until the dough comes together (you might have to add more water if it doesn’t hold together easily), pull the dough together into a ball, cover with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for about an hour. When it’s close to an hour, preheat your oven to 400 degrees and start making the filling.
2) In a saute pan, add the oil and onions and saute for a few minutes, add the spinach, a pinch of salt and just cook together for about a minute, transfer the mixture to a bowl and allow it to cool.
3) To the bowl with the spinach, add the ricotta, 2 eggs, parm, oregano and salt, mix together well and set aside.
4) Grease a 9 inch spring form pan (or any round pan) with olive oil and set aside. Split the dough into two pieces, one bigger than the other (the bigger one is for the base). Roll out the bigger piece until it’s big enough to cover the bottom and sides of the pan, then fill it with the spinach filling, make 4 indents in the filling and carefully add an egg in each hole.
5) Roll out the top piece, carefully place it on top, then pinch the edges together to seal, make a little slit in the center and finally, brush the top with some olive oil.
6) Bake for about an hour or until deeply golden brown, then let cool completely before serving.
Credit - http://www.laurainthekitchen.com/recipes/italian-savory-easter-pie-torta-pasqualina/
Picture credit - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lLE5Jxv0t9s/maxresdefault.jpg
Link for video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2EXrsVVhg0